Friday, November 8, 2013

Plum meringue pie


For my birthday party a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make a pie from one of my Jamie Oliver cooking books. There are a few of his recipes that I come back to again and again, but I had only made this Nectarine Meringue Pie once before, and it was many years ago.

The day of the party I went to get the last ingredients, and discovered that there were no nectarines at the store. I had my mind set on this pie, and quickly decided to switch it up and use plums instead. Plums were more seasonally appropriate anyways, I should know that.

Making a pie shell is not one of my favorite things to do, but I think it turned out well this time. Here is a recipe and how to for the pie shell. You can add lemon zest to the crust if you like for a sweet pie like this one.

On to the goodness:

Plum meringue pie

1 portion pie dough
1,2 kg ripe plums or peaches/nectarines
115 grams sugar
some butter

1 TBS corn flour
5 large egg whites
125 grams sugar or vanilla sugar

Crust: Roll out the cold dough and cover the pie form. Put it in the fridge/freezer while you make the filling.

Fruit filling: Cut the fruit in half, then half them again (and again), mix with sugar, corn flour, and butter and cover with foil.

Cook the pie shell and the fruit separately on 180 C for 15 minutes.

Meringue: Whip egg whites till they are completely stiff (I guess this takes about 10 minutes or so). You should be able to hold the bowl upside down without the egg falling out! Add the sugar and whisk some more.

When the pie crust and fruit is done, pour the fruit into the pie shell and add the meringue on top. Put it all back in the oven and cook for 8 minutes or so, till the meringue is golden. Enjoy it warm or cold.

I wish I had a picture of it, but trust me, it looked pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...